Sunday, April 14, 2013

Camera restoration update

The finished camera.

With lens cap removed

The restoration of my Rochester view camera is finished. Below are a bunch of photos of what I did to try and get this camera back in operation. Now I am drying some plastic plates and getting ready to float some emulsion on them. Then I will have to take a chance to figure out some ball park exposures to try. Hopefully this camera will be ready to take to the field soon.

Fixing  

The work bench. I removed the back end of the camera so I could fix the camera base. I had to fit a threaded T nut so that I could attach the camera to a tripod. Then I had to fix the wood rails so the front of the camera can move smoothly back and forth.
Close up of rail repair. I used a piece of oak floor to replace the chewed up part.

The T nut before it is set in the old tripod hole.
I created a new film guide replacing one that was lost. Also a stack of fresh cut glass plates.

Making a Full Plate Film Holder

I made one plate holder to try out. I built it by sandwiching layers of Masonite and 1/8th inch Luan. I also used the fabric part of Velcro to act as a light trap and help support the dark slide.
The plate holder with a piece of glass in it.
The plate holder with out the plate. Note two small tabs that hold the plate in the frame. You can also see the fabric side of Velcro that I added as an extra light trap.
Plate holder with dark slide

Cutting Glass

I set up a small glass cutting area. It was easier than I thought and I didn't cut myself or break any plates. After I cut the glass to 61/2 X 81/2 inches I used a diamond sharpening stone to smooth the edges. It worked great. Now my glass plates have safe smooth edges and are ready for cleaning and sensitizing with silver.

Glass cutting tool.

Grinding the edge of the plate with a diamond stone to make a smooth edge
Some plexiglass plates that I coated with oil based pyoiurathane. I thought I would try these plastic plates first so I could get a handle on the coating process and see what kind of exposures I can expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment