Friday, January 31, 2014

Gettysburg and a Robert Graves Poem


 Recalling War

Robert Graves

What, then, was war? No mere discord of flags
But an infection of the common sky
That sagged ominously upon the earth Even when the season was the airiest May.
Down pressed the sky, and we, oppressed, thrust out.


 


 
Boastful tongue, clenched fist and valiant yard.
Natural infirmaries were out of mode,
For Death was young again: patron alone
Of healthy dying, premature fate-spasm.""


The image above was taken last May 2013 over looking the fields from the Eternal Flame Peace Monument at Gettysburg.I am reading up on my World War One literature in preparation for new art for the 100 year anniversary of the start of WW1. This image I took with my iphone jumped out at me after reading this part of the poem. I would like to find a way to link the two together in not such a literal way.


No comments:

Post a Comment