Friday, September 23, 2011

Fort Jay- Governors Island

This negative looks like it's on a broken glass plate. I'm not sure how that happened except it's at the end of the film roll.
 
This is a continuation of a recent blog post about Governors Island and Fort Jay. The previous post dealt with what I call the "Brooklyn Gun" discovery. This post is about documenting the Fort walls and the flag pole. I have always liked the way the American flag looks, flapping in the wind, with a long exposure. The square blue field is always easily identifiable because it is fixed near the pole, while the red and white bars blur into infinity with the sky.
 The area that I photographed is the Rodman Guns that face lower Manhattan on the North side of the fort. I photographed here twice. The first time I was able to walk onto the ramparts. The second time it was fenced off. Probably because it was Civil War weekend and the cannon demonstration was held close by. For safety reasons They didn't want anyone getting to close.
The moat area on the East side.

I tried to get the guns and the flagpole in the same shot. It looks like I could have moved a little closer because the guns are to far away and small.

Holga 120N shot. I had to hold the camera around the fence.

One can see from this angle the way the fort is designed to be hard to hit with a 19th century period cannon. The grass and earth are sloped up to deflect cannon balls upward, over the top and away from the forts walls. Holga 120N on Fuji 100

In the moat
.Another view from inside the moat
Here is an map showing the original shape of Governors Island. On the bottom right you can see what is called the South Battery. The next photo below is taken from that point. It is interesting to me because it over looks Brooklyn and my home. In the lower left you can see how the island was added onto. All the landfill that doubled the size of the island came from the excavation of the NewYork City subway system.

View east toward my loft in the center between the street sign and the cranes. The stone wall is part of the South Battery. A small stone fort that covered the approach to the Buttermilk channel. The channel separates Brooklyn from Governors Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment